The MTSU Financial Aid Office provides students with information about federal/state aid, scholarships, and private/alternative educational loans. Financial Aid may apply to study abroad programs.
All education abroad participants must be taking courses abroad which are required to complete their MTSU degree. In order to receive financial aid, minimum credit hours must be met: equivalent of 6 U.S. credit hours summer, equivalent of 12 U.S. credit hours per semester.
Please see the MTSU Financial Aid website for more information.
After selecting an education abroad program, students should email the Financial Aid Office to schedule an appointment to understand financial aid options.
- Email at least two weeks in advance of the requested meeting
- Bring the program cost estimate to the appointment
The Office of Education Abroad can provide a cost estimate for your education abroad program to help you understand the overall costs that may be incurred. We can send this cost sheet directly to the Financial Aid Office on your behalf. Please contact us for assistance.
Financial Aid and Program Providers
MTSU Affiliated Programs
- Program providers such as USAC, ISA, CIEE, CCSA, or ISEP (exchange or direct)
- The financial aid process is the same as for students who remain on campus (in most cases)
- You must be enrolled in coursework abroad required for your degree plan in some way
- Credits earned abroad will transfer to MTSU on an official transcript (not a certificate)
- G.I. Bill benefits generally do not apply to study abroad programs offered by a provider
- Possible Exception = ISEP Exchange programs
Non-MTSU Affiliated Programs
- Any study abroad program with an institution that does not have a formalized consortium agreement with MTSU
- You may need to complete an Individual Study Abroad Consortium Agreement to continue receiving financial aid funds
- Original signatures required, minimum of 4-6 weeks must be allowed for processing paperwork
- Requests for aid may be denied if sufficient time is not allowed to process the agreement
- You must be enrolled in coursework abroad required for your degree plan
- Credits earned abroad must transfer to MTSU on a transcript (not a certificate)
- G.I. Bill benefits generally do not apply to study abroad programs offered by a non-affiliated provider
To determine aid eligibility, meet with MT One Stop or the Financial Aid Office for assistance through this process.
The Office of Education Abroad can answer questions about program affiliation. Non-affiliated programs are supported on a very limited basis.
Satisfactory Academic Progress
All students receiving financial aid must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students with a financial aid status of Suspension cannot receive financial aid funds whether abroad or at MTSU. Please discuss your specific situation with MT One Stop or the Financial Aid Office.
Academic Year (two-semester) Study Abroad Participants
Academic Year (two semesters) study abroad participants may not be eligible to receive financial aid for both semesters of a two-semester study abroad program. Academic Year students should refer to the Study Abroad Financial Aid Statement of Understanding and Financial Aid Status Sheet for further information.
Important! It is possible study abroad students will not qualify for aid/all aid the semester after returning from their study abroad program. There is currently a financial aid grace period to assist with the transition between your study abroad term and your next term on campus while we wait for your transcript to be received and processed. Neither the Office of Education Abroad nor Financial Aid can make exceptions or change this. Please be aware this can affect federal and Lottery, or other aid.
Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
Financial Aid Reminders
All students will be required to enroll in a course (or courses) at MTSU while they are studying abroad, regardless if they are paying tuition and fees to MTSU or to a provider program. In some cases this may be a no-cost placeholder course provided by the Office of Education Abroad to keep semester, exchange, or program provider students active in the MTSU system. All MTSU study abroad students must enroll in the course provided by the Office of Education Abroad or academic department. Failure to enroll in the course will have financial aid and transcript processing implications.
MTSU Financial Aid Reminders
Students should email email@example.com with questions about financial aid.
Course enrollment & confirmation
It is imperative that all students enroll in and confirm their classes by the MTSU fee payment deadline or their classes will be dropped. The confirmation must be completed, even if registered for a no-charge placeholder course. Enrollment, payment, and confirmation for all MTSU study abroad courses is done the same as if taking classes on campus - through Pipeline MT.
For additional information about course registration, contact the Office of Education Abroad.
- Verify that your aid has been processed by viewing your Pipeline MT account
- Ensure that you are enrolled in the appropriate number of hours for aid to be awarded
- If receiving Federal Direct Loans, you must be enrolled and attending at least half-time (6 undergraduate credit hours/5 graduate credit hours)
- First-time borrowers at MTSU must complete online Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before receiving loans
- Typically, financial aid is disbursed the first week of classes if students have met all requirements
Students expecting a financial aid refund
- Direct deposit is recommended so that financial aid refunds may be directly deposited into your bank account
- If you expect to receive a refund, please sign up for direct deposit via Pipeline MT
Students are highly encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org to determine aid eligibility, learn about requirements, and to fully understand how study abroad may affect individual financial aid options and benefits.
Next Term of Enrollment
Next term of enrollment - Don’t forget next semester!While participating in a study abroad program, you may be requested to complete requirements for your next term of enrollment.
Beginning in May, fall/spring Email Award Notices will be electronically sent to students with completed FAFSA results on file with the Financial Aid Office.
- Electronic Award Notices will be sent to your MTSU email address
- While studying abroad, you may need to access your Pipeline MT account to accept your awards and complete any requirements