Course Approval Form
The Course Approval Form is an integral part of the study abroad process.
- Is a collaborative effort between you, your Academic Advisor, Faculty Advisor, and/or Department Chair, and the Office of Education Abroad
- Lists the courses you intend to take abroad and their MTSU equivalencies
- Allows you to know ahead of time what is a) offered abroad in the program you have selected, and b) exactly how that will transfer back to your degree
- Should be completed early in the study abroad process
Who needs to complete the Course Approval Form?
- Any student participating on a study abroad program offered by a Program Provider: USAC, CIEE, ISA, ISEP, CCSA, LAC
- Any student participating on a Non-Affiliated Program
- Any student participating on an MTSU Exchange Program or ISEP Exchange Program
Courses taken abroad must be required for your degree plan in some way. Failure to take courses required for your degree plan may affect your financial aid (federal, state, and MTSU).
Some programs may not have a course listing available at the time of your program preapproval, especially exchange programs. Please contact the Office of Education Abroad for guidance if you are in this situation.
Students will list the course(s) they plan to take abroad on the Course Approval Form and should schedule a time with their Academic Advisor to discuss these courses and ask to have the form completed. Faculty Advisors and Department Chairs may also sign this form.
- The Academic Advisor, Faculty Advisor, and/or Department Chair will complete the columns for MTSU Equivalency, MTSU degree requirements satisfied (with credit hours) and sign the form.
- Please note: Students taking foreign language courses abroad must meet with the World Languages, Literatures, & Cultures Department for review and approval of their intended courses.
- Students should remember to complete the student portions of the form including name, program, credits, courses intended to take abroad, and financial aid, and sign/date the bottom of the form.
If you first meet with the Faculty Advisor and/or Department Chair, we also highly recommend you meet with your Academic Advisor as part of this process. This is to ensure that all parties you work with for your degree plan are updated accordingly.
The Course Approval Form may be submitted to the Office of Education Abroad at any time during the study abroad process but no later than the Pre-departure Packet deadline.
Any questions about the form can be directed to the Office of Education Abroad at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone (615) 898-5179, or you may inquire in person in Peck Hall 207.