Financial Aid and Scholarships information for study abroad can be detail-heavy and with good reason! We want students to understand all the details of funding options since this is one of the biggest hurdles (real or perceived) to overcome when planning to study abroad. We're here to help.
Paying for a summer, semester or even academic year education abroad program is not as difficult as you might think. You should spend some time researching and understanding the costs involved to participate on your chosen program using some of the budget guidelines below.
Scholarships may take a bit of your time and effort, but the payoff can be worth it. We encourage you to take the time to do your research and apply to more than one.
The Office of Education Abroad offers three scholarships.
Office of Education Abroad ScholarshipNew for summer 2021! The Office of Education Abroad Scholarship has been updated for summer 2021 programs in order to help students get out into the world again. We are combining our Commitment Scholarship and Office of Education Abroad Scholarship for summer 2021 to provide students more than the average summer award.
For summer 2021 programs only:
Commitment ScholarshipThis scholarship is not available for summer 2021. Please apply for the Office of Education Abroad Scholarship instead and the Media Scholarship instead.
TO APPLY, Students should have program Faculty Director approval and Office of Education Abroad preapproval before making a program deposit.
Eligibility Requirements = Please see the application (link below) to review information, requirements, and access the application for this scholarship
Application = Review the scholarship page and apply here: Commitment Scholarship
Want to share your study abroad adventures in a creative way? The Office of Education Abroad Media Scholarship gives students a chance to share their study abroad story with the MTSU community and inspire fellow MTSU students to study abroad.
Summer program deadline = March 19, 2021
Eligibility Requirements: Please see the application (link below) to review information, requirements, and access the application for this scholarship
Application = Review the scholarship page and apply here: Media Scholarship
Other MTSU Scholarships
These may be combined with Office of Education Abroad Scholarships.
Offers study abroad scholarships and Passport Day to Honors College students. Interested students should contact Laura Clippard or their Honors College advisor.
Jones College of Business
- Offers study abroad scholarships to Jones College of Business students
- $1,000 award
- Interested students should contact their Jones College of Business major/minor advisor
College of Liberal Arts
- $500 or $1,000
- MTSU Signature Study Abroad Programs only (Faculty-Led)
- Contact the College of Liberal Arts for more information
Kiyoshi Kawahito Scholarship Endowment
- Recipient must have a 2.75 GPA and have completed at least two Japanese language course before making a study abroad trip or exchange
- Financial need, in the broadest sense, is required
- Preferences will be given to students participating in one of the following exchange programs: Saitama University, Kansai Gadai University, Seinan Gakuin University, Reitaku University
Gerhard & Esther Hansen Memorial London Winter Scholarship
- $1,000 award
- Must be an MTSU Theatre major
- Only applies towards CCSA's 2-week London winter program for the Theatre course taught by MTSU faculty
- Contact Professor Scott Boyd for more information
Outside Education Abroad Scholarships
Most of our affiliated program providers offer their own unique scholarships to help students with expenses abroad. Please check the program provider website (CIEE, ISA, ISEP, and USAC) to learn more.
All outside scholarships have different criteria, application materials, award amounts, and deadlines. A few of the scholarship opportunities we have listed may not be directly applicable to study abroad programs but related post-graduation opportunities.
Other ways to find scholarships and funding opportunities:
- Online search
- Inquire with groups that you and/or your family may be part of (ex: civic or religious organizations)
- Ask campus departments if funding is available for your program
- Go Fund Me
- Link: Outside Scholarships
All scholarship awards are subject to determination of the Office of Financial Aid if the student is eligible to receive additional funding. This includes those provided by MTSU and outside sources. Please note that scholarships are competitive and never guaranteed.
Scholarships will not pay for your entire program, but every award amount adds up! We highly encourage you to apply for one or more.