Paying for a summer, semester or even academic year education abroad program is not as difficult as you might think. You should spend some time researching and understanding the costs involved to participate on your chosen program using some of the budget guidelines below. We recommend you review our "Funding your Program" page in addition to reading about scholarships.
Scholarships may take a bit of your time and effort, but the payoff can be worth it. We encourage you to take the time to do your research and apply to more than one.
The MTSU Office of Education Abroad offers three education abroad scholarships:
- Office of Education Abroad Scholarship
- Media Scholarship
- Commitment Scholarship
Please review the MTSU Office of Education Abroad Policies & Requirements and the individual scholarship eligibility requirements for full details.
Non-degree seeking and/or non-MTSU students do not qualify for any MTSU funding including the tuition discount for MTSU faculty-led Signature Study Abroad Programs and scholarships/grants.
Late and/or incomplete applications are not accepted or considered.
MTSU Office of Education Abroad Scholarship
MTSU Office of Education Abroad Commitment Scholarship
The Commitment Scholarship offers additional funding to MTSU students who commit to an MTSU Signature Program by the deadline. This scholarship is for MTSU Signature Programs only.
TO APPLY, Make your $500 program deposit, complete and submit the scholarship form to the Office of Education Abroad by the deadline.
MTSU Office of Education Abroad Media Scholarship
Want to share your study abroad adventures in a creative way? The Media Scholarship gives students a chance to share their study abroad story with the MTSU community and inspire fellow MTSU students to study abroad.
Spring Break program deadline = February 12, 2021
Summer program deadline = March 19, 2021
Eligibility Requirements: Please see the application (link below) to review information, requirements, and access the application for this scholarship
Application = will be available fall 2020 for summer 2021 programs
Please use the link below for a table of current and future scholarship dates and deadlines.
Other MTSU Scholarships
Other MTSU education abroad scholarships are available and may be combined with Office of Education Abroad Scholarships and the Grant.
- Offers study abroad scholarships to Honors College students
- Offers Passport Day to Honors College students
- Interested students = contact Laura Clippard
Jones College of Business
- Offers study abroad scholarships to Jones College of Business students
- $1,000 award
- Interested students = contact Jones College of Business major/minor advisor
College of Liberal Arts
- $500 or $1,000
- MTSU Signature Study Abroad Programs only (Faculty-Led)
- Contact = College of Liberal Arts for more information
Kiyoshi Kawahito Scholarship Endowment ?
- Recipient must have a 2.75 GPA and have completed at least two Japanese language course before making a study abroad trip or exchange
- Financial need, in the broadest sense, is required
- Preferences will be given to students participating in one of the following exchange programs: Saitama University, Kansai Gadai University, Seinan Gakuin University, Reitaku University
Gerhard & Esther Hansen Memorial London Winter Scholarship
- $1,000 award
- Must be an MTSU Theatre major
- Only applies towards CCSA's 2-week London winter program for the Theatre course taught by MTSU faculty
- Contact Professor Scott Boyd for more information
Outside Education Abroad Scholarships
Most of our affiliated program providers offer their own unique scholarships to help students with expenses abroad. Please check the program provider website (CIEE, ISA, ISEP, and USAC) to learn more.
All outside scholarships have different criteria, application materials, award amounts, and deadlines. A few of the scholarship opportunities we have listed may not be directly applicable to study abroad programs but related post-graduation opportunities.
Other ways to find scholarships and funding opportunities:
- Online search
- Inquire with groups that you and/or your family may be part of (ex: civic or religious organizations)
- Ask campus departments if funding is available for your program
- Go Fund Me
- Link: Outside Scholarships
All scholarship awards are subject to determination of the Office of Financial Aid if the student is eligible to receive additional funding. This includes those provided by MTSU and outside sources. Please note that scholarships are competitive and never guaranteed.
Scholarships will not pay for your entire program, but every award amount adds up! We highly encourage you to apply for one or more.