The Office of Education Abroad (OEA) appreciates your interest in developing an MTSU Signature education abroad program! We look forward to assisting you in what will be a richly rewarding opportunity, for both your own professional development and the academic development of MTSU students.
Faculty should first read through the MTSU Signature Education Abroad Program Handbook, linked below.
Questions about the MTSU Signature Education Abroad Program process, including information on third party providers that can assist you with logistics to accommodate your course, can be addressed to the Office of Education Abroad at any time. Contact the Director of Education Abroad, Melissa Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries may also be presented to the Vice Provost for International Affairs, Dr. Robert Summers, email@example.com.
Faculty Links: Handbook, Applications
- Signature Program Handbook
- Application for New and Recurring Programs
- Now available for 2021 and 2022 programs
- Link: Additional program proposal itinerary forms
- Short-term programs led by one or more MTSU faculty member
- MTSU courses specifically designed for the overseas location
- Designed to provide students with an academically enriching experience in the host country while providing culturally relevant excursions that support the academic experience
- Programs taught in English (with the exception of language credit programs)
- Generally 3-6 credit hours
MTSU Signature Programs are typically led during the summer term and are usually 3-4 weeks in duration but may be shorter or longer in length. Faculty can also choose to lead a spring break, fall break, or winter program.
How to Begin
- Read through the Faculty Led Handbook, the link is above.
- Review the existing study abroad programs to ensure a program will not be duplicated (see the Office of Education website - Program Search, or contact the OEA).
- Meet with the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Director, Office of Education Abroad.
- Meet with your Department Chair and Dean for planning and to seek approval for a program.
- When you are ready, click on the correct Program Proposal link above (new or renewing) and find the documents which need to be submitted for an MTSU Signature Study Abroad Program.
The handbook contains information on program development, budget considerations, the study abroad process, policies & requirements, and more. A few additional resources are below.
Sample Signature Program Timeline
Most programs are designed for the summer term and this is reflected in the timeline. Faculty who wish to lead a winter program should contact the Office of Education Abroad for a winter program timeline. Faculty should begin developing a study abroad program 16-24 months prior to the program date.
The MTSU Signature Program interactive budget spreadsheet will assist with your program budget and allows the Office of Education Abroad to understand your full faculty and student program costs. The Office of Education Abroad will use your program budget sheet to calculate student overall costs in program estimates.
Review the budget spreadsheet with the Faculty Handbook, Appendix A, for detailed guidance for each section.
- You MUST type in the number of student participants at the top or the spreadsheet will not automatically calculate.
- Only the yellow boxes in column B will automatically calculate.
- Delete the helpful notes you find throughout the spreadsheet before submitting with the program proposal
- Link: Interactive Budget Spreadsheet
Travel Memo Guidance
The cover page needs to be an explanation of why the faculty member is requesting permission to travel out of the country, showing benefits to the university and employee. The travel memo is
- There should be signature lines at the bottom for the Department Chair, College Dean, Office of International Affairs Vice Provost, University Provost, and University President to sign
- The travel authorization form and all supporting documents should be attached
- Missing documents will delay the processing of the request
- Link: Business and Finance Office Travel Policies
- See III. Authorization of Travel
Student Overall Cost Estimate (Cost Sheet)
The Student overall cost estimate (cost sheet) template can help create a cost estimate, per student, for your program. Contact the Director of the Office of Education Abroad for guidance putting together a cost estimate for your program.
- Link: Cost Sheet Template
Student Fee Payment Template
You can use this program fee payment form to help keep track of student payments to the MTSU Signature Program. This is a fillable PDF version of the on-campus payment form and the online payment instructions. Please contact the Office of Education Abroad if you prefer the Word version of either document.
Recruiting is vital to study abroad program success! Use the following resources to assist you with program recruitment.
- Link: Tips for Recruiting