International Friendship Program
Internationally minded? Enjoy helping others? The Office of Education Abroad created an International Friendship Program to help exchange students adjust to MTSU, to foster new friendships, and to facilitate cultural exchange.
JOIN US TODAY and help our exchange students transition to life at MTSU!
Incoming exchange students often arrive knowing no one and having little with them to settle into life at MTSU. We would like to extend MTSU generosity and spirit to these students when they arrive and during their time here.
MTSU hosts about 45 exchange students each year from diverse locations such as Japan, Finland, Germany, Taiwan, France, and the United Kingdom.
The Office of Education Abroad will:
- Make a match between an MTSU student and an incoming exchange student and facilitate communication between both students (turning it over to the students to determine the level of communication once the semester begins)
- Provide activity ideas and tips to both students matched
- Email your match to introduce yourself and start a friendly dialogue
- Be available to answer questions your match may have about MTSU (or refer them to the appropriate resources such as Dining Services or the library)
- Agree to meet with your match at least once during International Welcome Week (the week prior to classes each term)
- Picking up your match from the airport when they arrive
- Shopping at Walmart for residence hall supplies (and showing your match an American grocery store!)
- Helping with bus routes, local places to shop or eat within walking distance of MTSU
- Going out to lunch or coffee at your favorite restaurant or the Student Union/Dining Hall
- Walking or running along the Murfreesboro Greenway System
- Going to a local concert or outdoor activity
- Exploring Nashville
- Taking a day trip to a nearby destination such as Chattanooga
- Going to the movies or bowling
- Attending an MTSU sporting event
Contact us today to learn more or to participate!
Location: Office of Education Abroad, Peck Hall 207
Phone: (615) 898-5179